Jefferson County, Alabama

ePermitJC Info


Welcome to the Jefferson County Online Permitting Portal

Jefferson County is pleased to offer its citizens, businesses, and visitors, access to improved government services online, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

After registering and creating a public user account, the online Accela ACA Citizen Access will allow the customers of Jefferson County to: 

  • Research public information
  • Register as a Contractor
  • Apply for a permit or application (Environmental Services or Development Services)
  • Schedule inspection online
  • View and track the status of their application
  • Make secure online payments
Click Here to Apply for a Permit or Application at ePermitJC

Please note: An applicant will need an electronic copy of the job contract, a quote or other documentation of the value of the work you will be doing and upload document for the online permit.

Determining Your Property Jurisdiction

It’s very important to determine in which jurisdiction a property is located before beginning any construction or development project, requesting services, or filing a complaint. A property within Jefferson County can be in a city/town (incorporated) or in an unincorporated area of the County (not in a city/town).

The laws and procedures that apply to how you can develop or use property may differ based upon the jurisdiction where your property is located. Please, be sure you know if your property is located within Unincorporated Jefferson County before you start your project!

How do can you do this?

  • To determine if you are within the Unincorporated Jefferson County jurisdiction:
  • You can use the CAPture system or the Jefferson County Tax Assessor Map to help you determine in which jurisdiction the property is located.
    If you have any difficulties using the instructions above, feel free to contact the Department of Development Services to determine whether your property is within the Unincorporated Jefferson County jurisdiction.


A permit from Jefferson County is required for any new construction, alteration, or repair work on buildings within the Unincorporated Jefferson County. Article 13 of the adopted Subdivision Regulations for any land disturbing activities in unincorporated Jefferson County requires a property owner to apply for an Erosion Control Permit, which is available online at Accela ACA Citizen Access.
Sanitary Sewer or Septic Tank approvals are required for all new construction and mobile home placement projects.
To use ALL services, you must register and create a user account.

Helpful Telephone Numbers

Environmental Services
(Sewer & Grease Permits)

Development Services

Option 2 for Building Permits
Option 3 for Site Plan Permits
Option 4 for Planning Applications
Option 5 for Subdivision Applications
Option 7 Stormwater Permits  

Types of Payments accepted online

  • eChecks
  • VISA