- ADOPTION OF AMENDMENTS TO BUILDING, GAS, PLUMBING AND ELECTRICAL CODES:
On July 9, 2020, the Jefferson County Commission adopted amendments to the previously adopted codes to correct scriveners errors identified in the 2019 adoption, updating of fees to be consistent with online permitting, clarification of permit expiration, and formatting to ensure all four trade ordinances are consistent in content.
If You Pull a Construction Permit, You’re the Contractor - Ready or Not
Whether you’re remodeling or adding a new room, be careful! In the past, the Better Business Bureau has offered tips on how to hire a home improvement contractor, but there is more that homeowners should be aware of to avoid a great deal of trouble down the line. Continue reading..
Jefferson County Development Services Department is responsible for issuing building permits. Separate permits are required for:
- Electrical Work
- Moving a Structure
- Miscellaneous Construction
- Low Voltage
Building Permits Checklists
Fees will be calculated for all Building and Trade and permits according to the guidelines below:
- For a valuation up to and including $5,000, the fee shall be $50.00. (Beginning February 2020)
- For a valuation over $5,000, the fee shall be $9 per thousand or fraction thereof. (Beginning February 2020)
- Moving a structure - $100.00
- Demolish a building or structure - $9.00 per thousand/Minimum fee: $100.00
- Erect a Group A tent - $50.00
- Erect a sign – For a valuation of $5000.00 or less - $50.00 Fee. For valuations over $5000.00 - $9.00 per thousand or fraction thereof the total valuation
The Jefferson County Development Services Department inspects all construction or work for which a permit is required at various intervals.
Development Services Department does not inspect existing properties for code violations.
Fees: (Beginning February 3, 2020)
- Incomplete or failed inspections: $55.00 each
- After Hours inspections fee:
- Up to 4 hours: $300.00
- Each additional hour: $75.00
Building Plans Examination
Commercial and residential construction plans are reviewed to ensure that the design meets all applicable codes. Plan review greatly reduces the number of construction mistakes that occur during the construction process. Many dollars can be saved if problems are caught at the review stage and not during the actual construction.
A non-refundable application submittal and plans-checking fee is paid at the time of submitting plans and specifications for checking. The fee is $1.00 per thousand or fraction thereof of the valuation. If a building permit is obtained from the County within nine months of the application submittal, the cost of the permit is reduced by the amount of the application and plans-checking fee. This fee is generally limited to commercial construction. Residential plans are generally reviewed at the time of permit application.
Jefferson County Code Ordinances
- Building Codes Adopted Dec 2019
- Electrical Codes Adopted Dec 2019
- Fuel Gas Codes Adopted Dec 2019
- Plumbing Codes Adopted Dec 2019
Contractor Information, Affidavits, and Bonds
Applications for Permits:
All Applications for Permits on this site are for reference only and are subject to change.