- PUBLIC HEARING - Adoption of new Building, Gas, Plumbing and Electrical Codes:
On December 5, 2019 the Jefferson County Commission will hold a public hearing concerning the adoption of the 2018 Edition of the International Building Code, Plumbing Code and Fuel Gas Code and the 2017 Edition of the National Electrical Code as amended. If adopted, the new codes would become effective on the 3rd of February, 2020.
- Proposed 2018 Building Code
- Proposed 2017 Electrical Code
- Proposed 2018 Plumbing Code
- Proposed 2018 Fuel Gas Code
If You Pull a Construction Permit, You’re the Contractor - Ready or Not
Whether you’re remodeling or adding a new room, be careful! In the past, the Better Business Bureau has offered tips on how to hire a home improvement contractor, but there is more that homeowners should be aware of to avoid a great deal of trouble down the line. Continue reading..
The Jefferson County Development Services Department is responsible for issuing building permits. Separate permits are required for:
- Electrical Work
- Moving a Structure
- Miscellaneous Construction
Building Permits Checklists
The cost of the requested permit is calculated at the time of permit issuance according to the guidelines below. Additional fees are required for electrical, plumbing and gas work. These are based on the actual work to be done added to a minimum base fee.
- For a building permit where the valuation does not exceed $250.00, no fee shall be required unless an inspection is necessary, in which case there is a $50.00 fee (minimum permit fee)
- For a valuation over $250.00 up to and including $5,000.00 - $50.00
- For a valuation over $5,000.00 - $9.00 per thousand or fraction thereof
- Moving a structure - $100.00
- Demolish a building or structure - $9.00 per thousand/Minimum fee: $100.00
- Erect a Group A tent - $50.00
- Erect a sign – For a valuation of $5000.00 or less - $50.00 Fee. For valuations over $5000.00 - $9.00 per thousand or fraction thereof the total valuation
The Jefferson County Development Services Department inspects all construction or work for which a permit is required at various intervals.
Permits issued generally include three (3) inspections in the cost of each permit. When additional plumbing, gas or electrical inspections are required due to faulty materials, equipment, apparatus or workmanship, re-inspection fees are charged at a progressive rate. There is no charge for additional building re-inspections.
- 1st re-inspection - $20.00
- 2nd re-inspection - $40.00
- All additional re-inspections - $50.00
Building Plans Examination
Commercial and residential construction plans are reviewed to ensure that the design meets all applicable codes. Plan review greatly reduces the number of construction mistakes that occur during the construction process. Many dollars can be saved if problems are caught at the review stage and not during the actual construction.
A non-refundable application submittal and plans-checking fee is paid at the time of submitting plans and specifications for checking. The fee is $1.00 per thousand or fraction thereof of the valuation. If a building permit is obtained from the County within nine months of the application submittal, the cost of the permit is reduced by the amount of the application and plans-checking fee. This fee is generally limited to commercial construction. Residential plans are generally reviewed at the time of permit application.
Jefferson County Code Ordinances
Contractor Information, Affidavits, and Bonds
Applications for Permits:
All Applications for Permits on this site are for reference only and are subject to change - You MUST apply for a Permit in person.
- Application for Permit to Demolish a Building
- Application for Electrical Permit
- Application for Gas Permit
- Application for Miscellaneous Building Permit
- Application for Liquefied Petroleum Gas
- Application for Permit to Move a Building
- Application for Non-Residential Building Permit
- Application for Plumbing Permit
- Application for Residential Building Permit