Jefferson County Housing Programs
Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG)
The programs listed below are only available to income eligible homeowners that have occupied their home for a minimum of one year. Rental properties are not eligible. Properties must be located within the Jefferson County Community Development Consortium which is all of Jefferson County outside the city limits of Birmingham, Bessemer, Hoover and the towns of County Line, Sumiton, Argo and Helena. Jefferson County provides Equal Housing Opportunities.
(City of Birmingham homeowners please contact the City of Birmingham Housing Division at (205) 254-2312)
- Housing Emergency Grant Program (CDBG): This program provides grants for emergency repairs to the homes of low and very low-income households
- Housing Rehabilitation - For information about the Jefferson County Housing Rehabilitation Program and application process, please contact Cheryl Collier at (205) 521-7567.
- Volunteer Based Housing Rehabilitation Programs (CDBG): Jefferson County works with volunteer-based organizations to make repairs such as painting to the homes of lower income citizens.
- Housing Accessibility Program (CDBG): This program provides grants for the installation of necessary accessibility work for qualified low and moderate-income families. This work includes such items as ramps, enlarged doorways, bathroom grab bars and other similar items.
- Fair Housing & Homeownership Counseling (CDBG): Free confidential counseling paid for by Jefferson County. Call (205) 841-7708, (205) 849-6727 or (205) 841-2872 for counseling in the following areas:
- Fair Housing
- Credit Problems
- Homebuyer Education
Or call the Operator at (205) 849-0123 and ask for the housing counselor.
Foreclosure Prevention Service: For assistance call Legal Services Alabama at (205) 328-3540. www.legalservicesalabama.org