Jefferson County Commission, in partnership with the Jefferson County Department of Health, funds an annual Household Hazardous Waste day open to all residents of Jefferson County. This event is typically held in April at various locations throughout the County, there are no additional fees to attend. Please call 205-325-8741 for more information.
The current year's flyer is always posted at least one month prior to the event on the Stormwater Community Outreach page.
Items collected include, but are not limited to the following:
- Household cleaners (kitchen & bathroom)
- Thermometers (mercury/alcohol)
Jefferson County, in partnership with others, funds Electronic Collection and Paper Shredding events, which are open to all residents of Jefferson County. These events are held throughout the year and in various locations throughout the County. There are no fees to participate. Please call 205-325-8741 for more information. The current year's flyer is posted at least one month prior to the event on the Stormwater Community Outreach page.
The following items are collected at these events:
- Cable boxes, modems, routers
- Cell Phones and tablets
- Computers and laptops
- Cords, cables, wire, chargers
- Printers, scanners, fax machines (ink and toner cartridges)
- Rechargeable batteries
- Security equipment
- Small appliances (coffee makers, hair dryers, irons, microwaves, toasters, vacuums)
- Televisions and monitors (all types)
- Regular paper, paper folders (5 box limit)
Outside of this time frame there are several local businesses that accept electronics for recycling. Most electronics can be dropped off for free with the exception, but not limited to, televisions, CRT monitors and certain printers. Please call for hours of operation and fees if applicable.