Residents in the unincorporated areas of Jefferson County are responsible to manage their household waste and debris (this includes furniture, tires, and appliances). You can opt into a curbside service for trash, yard debris and big bulk items OR you can take your items to a local landfill. It is unlawful to keep these items stored on your property for weeks, buried, and or burned.
Jefferson County Commission has Ordinances, Laws and Regulations that protect our land and environment from various items. The Jefferson County Weed and Litter Ordinance specifically prohibits junk/salvage materials, trash and litter, inoperable vehicles from being left out in the environment. Please review and familiar yourself with the ordinances and laws and regulations given they will be enforced.
Curbside Waste Disposal
AmWaste is the current vendor for residents in the unincorporated parts of Jefferson County.
Contact them at 205-788-1400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up service or if you have issues with service.
(The contract for curbside waste disposal in unincorporated Jefferson County is managed by the Department of Development Services 205-238-3876)
Tires, Furniture, Appliance Disposal
Tires stored out in the rain can collect water and be a breeding ground for mosquitos. Tires can be disposed of throughout the year at various locations in and around Jefferson County; some methods require a fee. It is recommended that you call for hours of operation and fee schedule if applicable:
- Tires can be brought to ADEM certified landfills for disposal. For questions and/or additional information contact Sharkayla Perry, Environmental Scientist, ADEM, Land Division, Solid Waste Branch. (334-279-2048) email email@example.com.
OR the following businesses can provide proper disposal for a small fee. (Jefferson County has no contractual relationship with this businesses)
- Scrap Tire Transporter: Bessemer Tire Company; 1206 9th Avenue North Bessemer 205-424-2822, $1.50 per tire depending on size
- Large volume of tires: J. Scott Enterprises/ Metro Tire /198 Pawnee Village Road/Birmingham / 205-841-1930; $1.00 per tire depending on size
Household Hazardous Waste Day Events
- Tires can be brought to the annual Household Hazardous Waste Day collection events for free disposal. There is an eight tire limit - no rims.
Abandoned Vehicles & Appliances
As stated in the Jefferson County Weed and Litter Ordinance, “it shall be unlawful for any person to have more than one vehicle without a current tag parked, left, or stored upon any lot, place or premises that lies within the unincorporated area of Jefferson County.
Provided, that this shall not apply to a properly zoned and licensed business if such parking, leaving, or storing of such motor vehicles is a reasonably necessary incident in the operation of said business.”
There are various businesses that can assist with the removal of inoperable vehicles. While these companies prefer to have owner information and a clean title, this information is not needed for them to remove an inoperable vehicle from your property.
NOTE: Jefferson County Commission has no contractual relationship:
- I Buy Junk Cars! 205-491-3961
AppliancesAppliances are accepted at the annual Household Hazardous Waste day, for free, Click here for details. Below is a listing of various options to consider that also accept appliances. Please call for hours of operation and fees, if applicable. Note: Jefferson County has no contractual relationship with the following entities.
- Ask the company delivering your new appliance to take the old one.
- If the appliance still works: consider donating to charity for pick up - Salvation Army, The Foundry, Habitat for Humanity, and many local churches may have a need.
- Contact your residential waste disposal company (AmWaste for unincorporated JeffCo)
- Contact a scrap metal facility. Often, these facilities will pay you for the value of the scrap metal contained in the appliance: Brothers Recycling, 1620 Vanderbilt Road, Birmingham, AL 205-323-4283.
- Take the appliance to a landfill (see list below)
Recycling for plastics, cans, and paper
Check with your residential trash provider, or you can take it the items to the various drop off centers below.
Please call for hours of operation and current materials accepted.
- Birmingham Recycling and Recovery, 9 41st St. South, 35222; 205-591-8201
- UAB Recycling Center, 620 11th street S, 35233; 205-996-9043
- Bessemer Recycling Center, 1601 1st Avenue North, 35020; 205-425-0068
The Jefferson County Board of Health Air Pollution Control Rules and Regulations (Chapter 5) prohibit outdoor burning, except for the purposes of food preparation, from May through October when air quality is typically at its worst. Authorizations issued to open burn in Jefferson County during November through April require adherence to strict rules regarding location and equipment required. Improper burning could result in substantial monetary penalties.
For more information on these restrictions or to report a smoke nuisance, contact the Jefferson County Department of Health at 205-930-1276.
- A residential curbside yard debris removal service can be provided to existing AmWaste customers for an additional fee.
- You can take items to a local landfill for a fee (see below)
Please call for hours of operation and questions on fees.
Residents transporting material to these sites must cover their loads to prevent trash from blowing onto roadways. Violators may be fined.
101 Barber Blvd, Gardendale, AL 35071
Hours: Residential Convenience Center Monday - Friday 4:30 am - 5 pm, Sat 7am -12pm
Cost based on weight: $14 for first 400 pds, $36.05 per ton after that
Construction Debris is $36.05 per ton
7035 Narrows Road, Pinson, AL 35126
Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 7am - 3pm, Saturday 7am -12pm
Cost: $13 – cash only, and they will only accept bagged garbage, 12 bags in a load
5125 Bessemer Johns Road, Bessemer, AL35023
Hours: Monday-Friday 7 am - 4 pm, Saturday 7 am -12 pm
Cost: , over that $41.48 per ton thereafter
They do not accept cash (No paint, no batteries, no tires)
11510 Lock 17 Road, Bessemer, AL 35023
Hours: Monday - Friday 7 am - 4pm; 3rd Saturday of the month Wednesday - Saturday 7 am – 4 pm
Cost:$7.00 per load (pickup truck or car only)
Picking up and properly disposing of your pet’s waste is not just a courtesy; it is the healthy and environmentally sound thing to do. Most wild animals do not live in close proximity to one another, and therefore their waste is not concentrated in a small geographic area. That is why the 38tons of waste generated per DAY by the 150,000 domesticated dogs which live as pets in Jefferson County’s urban and suburban areas creates a significant health and environmental threat. Click here, to learn how to have a pet friendly landscape.
- Pick up your pet's waste and place it in a plastic bag and put it in the trash for curbside pickup. This goes for your backyard too. There are also companies that will do this for a fee.