Jefferson County Law Library COVID-19 Response
Effective May 1, 2020, the City of Birmingham requires an item to cover the nose and mouth of a person to limit the spread of coronavirus. You will not be allowed into the Law Library unless you abide by this ordinance.
· No more than (2) patrons at a time will be permitted to stand at the circulation desk.
· No more than three (3) patrons at a time will use the computers.
· No more than two (2) patrons may sit at the tables.
· No more than three (3) patrons at the same time may be in the conference room.
· Hand sanitizer will be required to be used prior to entering the Law Library.
The Jefferson County Law Library provides the public with access to a collection of well-organized authoritative law materials for in-house use. Statutes, reporters, form books, administrative law books, and law reviews form the bulk of the collection. There is a high concentration of Alabama and Federal materials. The collection is non-circulating except to the Bench, Bar and government officials.
The Law Library staff are NOT attorneys and are prohibited from giving legal advice or engaging in any activity which might constitute the unauthorized practice of law (Code of Alabama 1975 §34-3-1). The staff can assist patrons in the use of the library, but cannot answer legal questions, assist in filling out legal forms, interpret the law, or provide any assistance which could be construed as practicing law without a license.
Library patrons may not solicit library staff or other patrons for legal advice or assistance, or monopolize staff time with unreasonable requests.
Library Staff CAN:
- Tell you where items are located in the library
- Help you understand legal citations
- Suggest specific titles, databases, resources, or areas of the collection for your question
- Show you how a set of books is organized and indexed
- Show you how to use the library catalog and subscription legal databases
- Photocopy or email you a specific citation for a fee (see our billing policy for pricing)
- Refer you to another library if our library does not have what you need
- Refer you to legal assistance organizations in the area
- Give you the telephone numbers for bar associations’ lawyer referral services
Library Staff CANNOT provide legal advice including the following:
- Interpret or explain the meaning of the law, regulations, court cases, or any other documents
- Give legal advice or state opinions on legal issues
- Advise you of your legal rights
- Answer questions about statutes of limitation or court deadlines
- Help you complete a legal form
- Select specific forms for you
- Conduct legal research for you
- Recommend a particular lawyer
- Tell you whether a statute or case is still good law or has been overruled
Jefferson County Law Library
Jefferson County Courthouse
716 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. N - Suite 530
Birmingham, AL 35203
The Law Library does not accept credit cards. Transactions must be made with cash or check.