Applicant, please complete an online application which, can be accessed at www.coronerportal.org.
Once the application is submitted and reviewed, a Deputy Coroner will contact you to discuss the case.
Please note the following details regarding the county burial program:
- The death must have occurred within Jefferson County, Alabama.
- The decedent must be determined to be indigent or declared unclaimed by the Coroner/ME's Office.
- Jefferson County will determine the date and time of the burial.
- All burials will take place at the Jefferson County Cemetery in Morris, Alabama.
- Family and friends are welcomed to attend the burial, but the applicant must indicate their wishes to attend in the application, so they can be notified of the date and time of the burial.
- If the decedent, at the time of application, is not currently at the Jefferson County Coroner/Medical Examiner's Office:
- Jefferson County will arrange for transport of the body to the Coroner/ME's Office, but this will not be performed until the death certificate has been certified by a physician in the Alabama-Electronic Vital Events Registration System.
- The transport of the body to the Coroner/ME's Office will take place on a date and time determined by the Coroner/ME's Office.
Direction to the Jefferson County Cemetery - From Downtown Birmingham
- Take Interstate 65 North to Morris, Exit 275,
- Turn right at the end of the exit ramp onto Barber Blvd,
- Turn left onto US Highway 31,
- Go approximately 2 miles to the red light at Morris Majestic Road,
- Turn right onto Morris Majestic Road,
- At the 2nd stop sign, turn right onto Glennwood Road,
- Go approximately 3/4 of a mile and turn left at the 2nd entrance to the Morris Ball Park onto Ball Park Drive,
- Follow Ball Park Road into the cemetery.