What does this flag mean?
When you see this flag displayed at various locations throughout Jefferson and Shelby Counties, it means that it's an Ozone Action Day. Ozone concentrations are expected to reach unhealthy levels.
By taking one or more of these steps on Ozone Action Days you can help prevent ozone levels from becoming unhealthy:
- Limit driving. Carpool, bike or walk. Combine errands.
- Drive only your newest, best maintained vehicle.
- Ride the bus (Call MAX at (205) 521 -0101 for bus schedule information).
- Use gasoline-powered lawn and gardening equipment after 6 pm.
- Refuel your vehicle after 6 pm and don't top off the tank.
- Avoid excessive idling and "jackrabbit" starts.
- Don't use drive-throughs. Park and walk in.
- Keep your car tuned up and don't delay getting repairs made. A poorly maintained vehicle can emit excessive ozone forming pollutants.
- Use an electric starter or charcoal chimney instead of lighter fluid.
- Postpone using oil-based paints, solvents, stains and other products that produce fumes.
- Conserve energy. Turn off lights and set air conditioners at 78 degrees Fahrenheit.